HEIGHT MODERNIZATION COORDINATION MEETING
Tuesday, January 11, 2005
Purpose: To exchange information and provide an update on Height Modernization activities, events, and issues
o Contractual services for software development (such as leveling and web-enabled programs, Windows interface for NGS’ ADJUST software, Pocket GPS Manager), research and development projects (NGS 58 guidelines, geoid modeling), and project coordination and analysis;
o Travel - NGS and invitational travel to participate in HM user forums, meetings, and conferences; and,
o Equipment – leveling equipment (for training purposes), GPS/GIS equipment for educational programs, fixed height poles, hardware and software support.
· Suggestion was made to add a “Grants” link or general information on grants and updates to the NGS or HM webpage
· Grant recipients should file paperwork this year, but NOAA will be switching to grants online soon
· Two training classes will be held in Seattle, WA, on February 7-8 (for Federal program officers & personnel) and on February 9-10 (for Award recipients). Travel costs are to be paid by award recipient’s organization.
· Informational letters were sent out in August 2004 for those who received HM grants last year. Letters will go out ASAP to the 2 new states receiving HM funding this year.
o Outreach presentation (Friday afternoon) would have been more beneficial earlier in the week
o Include hands-on workshops – too hard to sit still and listen for hours
o More discussion needed on NGS “Vision”
o More involvement of Norfolk personnel
o Schedule time for State Advisor “reports” as in previous Convocations
Scheduling for 2005 (state, regional, National)
· NGS plans to hold regional Height Modernization meetings or possibly one National Height Mod meeting in Silver Spring this year. Dates to be determined.
Status of programs and tools underway
· ADJUST interface program – Mike Potterfield
· PDA application to log GPS observation information – California Spatial Reference Center
Information needed - State Pages, Gravity, Leveling
· Please provide relevant information on Height Modernization events, projects, links, etc., to Juliana Blackwell.
Projects – Who’s
· LSRC to host Geospatial Data Exchange Expo on May 10-11 for users of GIS data (Dr. Dokka)
· January 27 – Florida DOT & Alabama DOT met to discuss Height Modernization (Ronnie Taylor)
· Week of May 16th – plan to hold a Height Modernization Forum in Tampa, FL (Ronnie Taylor)
· Plea to change the way NGS does adjustments – California and other areas need to address velocities (Marti Ikehara)
1. Add Grants link and/or info to Height Mod webpage
2. Add Gravity/Geoid link and/or info to Height Mod webpage
3. Add Height Modernization Survey Station tag to datasheets
4. Check on North Carolina tidal leveling status