|Status and plans for the NAD 83 (NSRS2007) coordinates on new data sheets|
This announcement has been superceded. Please click here for the latest information.
After some initial problems, and upon review and discussion, NGS has decided to leave the new data sheet containing NAD 83 (NSRS2007) coordinates in production and work to mitigate any issues surrounding them. NGS apologizes to our users for the inconvenience and lack of communication with the initial release of the new NAD 83 (NSRS2007) coordinates, and is reviewing ways to ensure that our products and services are released in an appropriate manner in the future.
NGS has decided to make the new adjusted coordinates available to the public immediately and believes that reverting back to the old positions and old format would cause more confusion.
NGS also recognizes the need to reach out to the public on the meaning and use of the accuracy data. This will be the topic of upcoming workshops and seminars.
NGS welcomes your questions, suggestions and concerns on the new data sheet and the national readjustment. A series of FAQs will be created based on your input. You may send your comments to: email@example.com
The following modifications are currently underway:
- The format of the records for the NAD 83 latitude and longitude and the NAVD 88 Helmert orthometric height will be changed to keep the same spacing as the previous data sheet. The inclusion of 'NSRS' in the datum tag had moved both fields to the right five places and caused applications which take data sheets as input to fail. The new datum tag will now read NAD 83 (2007) and an explanatory note will be added to the data sheet to explain that the datum tag '2007' means 'NSRS2007'.
- For survey control stations determined 'NO CHECK' by the national readjustment, the published NAD83 coordinate line will be designated 'NO CHECK' (replacing 'ADJUSTED') and the ELLIP HEIGHT line will be designated 'NO CHECK' (replacing 'GPS OBS').
- Since GPS survey control stations will no longer be designated with 'Order/Class', the new data sheets have omitted the 'Order/Class' codes in favor of the forthcoming network and local accuracies. However, the data sheet search option will be updated to include a search for horizontal 'Order/Class' codes within the superseded positions.
- The ellipsoid height line will be designated 'ADJUSTED' rather than 'GPS OBS' (except for NO CHECK stations; see above).
- Network and Local Accuracies will be temporarily removed, pending appropriate metadata to support these quantities (currently in progress)
|Last updated by ngs.webmaster on April 15, 2011|